Towards Exascale Computing in Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP)
Every second year ECMWF hosts a workshop on the use of high performance computing in meteorology.
The workshop brings together experts in high-performance computing from across the national weather centres, academia and industry to discuss and present recent developments in high-performance computing for weather forecasting applications.
The theme of the 2021 workshop was "Towards Exascale Computing in Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP)" and will focus on the challenges and opportunities that exascale computing presents for the weather and climate community.
Workshop key topics
• International Exascale efforts in NWP
• Scalability and performance optimisation of weather applications
• Porting of weather and climate codes to heterogeneous architectures
• Emerging high-performance computing technologies
• Potential of cloud computing for meteorological applications
• Machine learning for weather and climate
• Digital twins of the Earth
The workshop consisted of keynote talks from invited speakers, 20-30 minute overview talks and expert presentations as well as a panel discussion.
Our aim is to provide a forum where users from our Member States and around the world can report on recent experience and achievements in the field of high performance computing; plans for the future and requirements for computing power were also presented.